“Knowledge is power. Information is liberating. Education is the premise of progress, in every society, in every family.” (Kofi Annan, 1938 – 2018).
During 2017, the Sleep Health Foundation released a report entitled “Asleep On The Job”, outlining the impact of poor sleep in the Australian population. The report found that four in 10 Australian adults, about 7.4 million people, frequently suffered from inadequate sleep in the 2016 – 2017 financial year. This included:
- 1.1 million people with sleep disorders like insomnia and obstructive sleep apnea,
- 2.5 million people with health problems that affect their sleep,
- 3.8 million people who routinely fail to get enough sleep, often suffering side effects of sleep deprivation.
Sleep deprivation was linked to over 3,000 deaths in 2016 – 2017. There were 394 deaths a year from falling asleep at the wheel of a vehicle or from industrial accidents due to lack of sleep. The remaining deaths are heart disease and diabetes deaths linked to sleep disorders. Overall, the total cost of inadequate sleep in Australia during the year was estimated to be $66.3 billion.
The main recommendations of the report included:
- raising awareness of the importance of sleep health,
- encouraging early detection and prevention sleep problems, and
- implementing cost-effective treatment.
Bayside Sleep Health is committed to these recommendations to promote Good Sleep Health for everyone, and can provide educational presentations to businesses and community groups. We can tailor a 20 to 40 minute sleep presentation to your audience, with additional time for questions and answers. Our presentations aim to be educational, interactive and entertaining, to provide audience members with at least one ‘take home message’, to change their own sleep habits and routines.
To book a sleep presentation for your business or community group, please call us on 0409 865 607 or contact us here.